All Things #Tech #HR #Futureofwork #Fun
When an interim is in between contracts, it’s a fine balancing act to ensure you spend your time wisely. For me, that means a mixture of building and strengthening my network, personal development, searching for a new assignment, and having a holiday.
The good stuff so far…
- Attending a board meeting as a non-exec and seeing the benefits of the modernisation journey that we’ve been on – energy, professionalism, and great debates whilst discussing difficult agenda items. Then getting to know each other better over drinks.
- Attending HR Tech World and the Dragon’s Den-style proposals where entrepreneurs pitched their new tech solutions. There was innovation, energy and a real focus on the end user’s customer experience.
- Joining #HRHour on Twitter to chat about all things HR, but particularly the future of.
- Attending the ‘Carlsberg of conferences’- great food, great people, goodie bags and cocktails in the day!
- Having the time and head space to reconnect with HR buddies and really listen to what they’ve been up to.
- Making new connections with like-minded HR disruptors who are future-focused and intent on not accepting the status quo. They’re pushing the boundaries and aren’t afraid to put it out there.
- The generosity of people who helped me in all sorts of ways – whether it was connecting me to others, inviting me as a guest to events or just providing support.
And the not so good…
- Hearing corporate companies discussing outdated subjects, tools and products, and missing the point of what the end user needs.
- Reading endless articles and blogs about how HR should be recognised and respected – like it’s a rite of passage and an entitlement.
- Being uninvited to events because I’m no longer in contract – by organisations that are happy to ‘allow’ me back into the group or events once I’ve secured my next contract!
- Having time to do all those things you put off while in contract and realising that, with all the time in the world, you still haven’t got the motivation to do them.
- Trying hard to keep the faith and wait it out until the right assignment comes along – so difficult when there’s an offer on the table and you don’t know when the next one will come along.
- Box sets. The things we wish we had time for when we’re working, but are the devil when you’re not. So addictive that you start dreaming about the plot in your sleep!
So what next? Well, first a holiday which involves a tree house and then some website development, a review of my business model, and hopefully the dream assignment that involves all things #Tech #HR #Futureofwork #fun
Melanie Steel is founder of People Change Expertise Ltd and is an experienced HR | Change | Programme Director currently considering interim opportunities.